Star Wars Fanon has a set of article guidelines, also known as the Manual of Style, that all fanon and fan fiction pages are required to follow. This policy acts as a guide to ensure that pages meet a minimum standard, while still allowing for maximum creative freedom for writers.
Fanon article guidelines
The following are the basic guidelines for fanon articles on Star Wars Fanon:
- Fanon pages must be written in English. This is the English Star Wars Fanon wikia and, as such, articles should be written in English. Both American and British-style English are acceptable.
- Fanon pages must contain proper spelling and grammar. All articles should be as well-written as possible, based on the skills of the writer, and contain proper English spelling and grammar. This includes text formatting, such as italicizing the names of ships in accordance with official Star Wars conventions.
- Fanon pages must contain correct tense and perspective. All in-universe articles should be written in the past tense ("A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."), with the exception of a "Behind the scenes" section, which can be in the present tense. Out-of-universe articles should be written in whatever tense is most appropriate. All articles should be written with a third-person perspective.
- Fanon pages must be categorized. All articles must be categorized in all relevant categories. Categories should, however, be kept to a reasonable minimum. Additionally, user-based categories, excluding "Articles by NAME" and "Fan fiction by NAME," are not allowed. A guide to categorization may be found here.
Fan fiction page guidelines
The following are the basic guidelines for fan fiction pages on Star Wars Fanon:
- Fan fiction pages must be written in English. This is the English Star Wars Fanon wikia and, as such, fan fiction should be written in English. Both American and British-style English are acceptable.
- Fan fiction pages must contain proper spelling and grammar. All fan fiction should be as well-written as possible, based on the skills of the writer, and contain proper English spelling and grammar.
- Fan fiction pages must be properly formatted. Narrative pages, such as chapters or other story segments, are to be placed on a subpage of the fan fiction's entry. When naming subpages to contain narrative text, use the original article for the overall work of the parent page. For example, Force Exile IV: Guardian/Part 1 is a narrative subpage of Force Exile IV: Guardian. Each segment should be placed into Category:Fanwork segments or a story-specific category (an example being Category:Chapters of The Seventh Star).
- Length categorization. Novels, novellas, and short stories are required to be 40,000, 7,500, and 1,000 words long, respectively, in order to be categorized as such.
The following are miscellaneous guidelines that do not necessarily fit into the above sections:
- Videos. Videos should not be embedded onto Star Wars Fanon pages unless they serve a relevant function, such as to illustrate part of the story being told.
- Appropriate content. The content policy applies to all fanon and fan fiction pages on Star Wars Fanon.
- Plagiarism. Stories that contain plagiarism are not allowed and will be deleted.
- Wookieepedia content. Pages containing text copied from Wookieepedia (or any other wikia), even if that text is correctly attributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license, is not allowed. You can use official Star Wars stories in your stories, but they must be in your own words.
- Off-topic pages. Pages that are not about Star Wars will be removed. Crossovers also are not allowed. Spam and vandalism pages will also be removed.
- Deletion. Pages may be subject to deletion if they do not meet the criteria contained on this page.
Following these guidelines may seem a little daunting, but there are always people here to help. If you ever need any help, feel free to ask in our Writing Center.