There must be both dark and light. I will do what I must to keep the balance, as the balance is what holds all life. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; serenity, yet emotion; chaos, yet order. I am a wielder of the flame; a champion of balance. I am a guardian of life. I am a Gray Jedi.
—Leor Danal reciting what would be the basis for the The Gray Jedi Code for the first time while in a Force Trance.
The Gray Jedi Code was the mantra that all Gray Jedi lived by, similar to the Jedi code or the Sith Code. It was written by the first Kage of the order, Leor Danal. He claimed that the inspiration for the code came to him in a vision while he was in a Force Trance.
- Flowing through all, there is balance
- There is no peace without a passion to create
- There is no passion without peace to guide
- Knowledge fades without the strength to act
- Power blinds without the serenity to see
- There is freedom in life
- There is purpose in death
- The Force is all things and I am the Force
Flowing through all, there is balance
- While Gray Jedi believed that the Force did indeed have inherently Light and Dark sides, they recognized that these aspects could not be separated without negative consequences. If the Dark Side and the Sith were to gain dominance, life would become self-destructive and be extinguished. However, if the Light Side and the Jedi Order's quest for peace were allowed to come to pass, the galaxy would fall to lethargy, apathy, and eventually fade and die. Both Light and Dark were part of the Force, and all aspects of the Force had to be studied and respected.
- Balance was central to a Gray Jedi's life, and without it, the galaxy would fall to ruin. Thus, they acted as guardians of this balance, guided by their connection with the Force. Gray Jedi ultimately believed that the end justified the means. The Gray Order generally encouraged mutually beneficial relations between civilizations and systems. However, if a situation arose that required a species, or even planet, to be manipulated or destroyed to re-balance the state of the galaxy, a way would be found to do so.
There is no peace without a passion to create/ There is no passion without peace to guide
- For a Gray Jedi, passion was an integral part of life. Without it, what was to stop one from simply meditating on the mysteries of the Force until one's body atrophied? Yet, inner peace was needed to focus one's passions constructively and purposefully, rather than indiscriminate training, artifact hunting, or simple destruction with no ultimate goal. Passion without peace was simple madness. Peace without passion was apathy.
Knowledge fades without the strength to act/ Power blinds without the serenity to see
- Finding truth, promoting peace and understanding, these were noble pursuits, but without using the found truths to enact change or improvements in and around oneself, having the knowledge was meaningless. In the same way, power with no purpose beyond increasing itself held no greater meaning.
There is freedom in life/ There is purpose in death
- In order for life to exist, there must be chaos and order at an equal level. This principle guided the Gray Jedi's actions. Sometimes laws needed to be broken and sometimes chaos must be brought to order, however neither should be ended permanently. The push and pull between the two kept the galaxy alive, re-growing and changing and improving itself. Life is Change.
The Force is all things, and I am the Force
- Light and Dark, good and evil, life and death, action and inaction and reaction, peace and war, the Force encompassed all aspects of the galaxy. The Gray Jedi knew that to truly be guardians of Life, one could not choose. Life could not be denied its emotions, death had its place, and rejecting or focusing on a few aspects while ignoring others was simply denying reality and oneself. Becoming a complete being and guardian of the Force demanded embracing it all.
Behind the Scenes
This page was created over a decade ago (in the SW Fanon site's heyday) and has undergone a lot of revision and discussion in that time. The current version is a relatively recent reworking, intended to be less of one individual's imagining and more relatable to the official lore. A lot of thought has been put into all of these revisions and discussion in the comments section is always taken into consideration.
Interest in the Gray Jedi and alternative Force philosophies has grown and diminished over the years. Given the continued television series and the new trilogy and related movies coming out, there's been a small rise in visitors...and vandalism. Some are negligible grammatical corrections, some erase or replace a few lines according to personal tastes, others have been mindless vulgarity or "u 2 fanboi" comments that would be at home in the comments section.
If there is a genuine disagreement with the current wording or suggestions for improvement, please comment! The page moderator is fairly active and enjoys discussion! But again, please, bring support. Review the revision history (important revisions are easy to identify by the large green numbers), have word definitions that can be linked to and specific (counter-)examples. Edits without warning or permission are very easily undone and an excellent way to label your wiki account as a vandal or troll. Be constructive, not destructive.