Our immediate concern is the Confederate Navy, since the Confederacy receives Separatist military assistance their military forces far outnumber and outgun our own, the Confederate Navy is vastly superior to our own navy, they blockade Unionist planets and practically keep our fleet bottled up deep in Union-held space, practically every push we make is repulsed by overwhelming numbers, technology and firepower, we won't have a navy for much longer at this rate!
—Union President Richard Williams to Jedi General Maksi Hikar shortly before the First Battle of Earth
The Confederate States Navy (CSN), also known as the Confederate Navy, Separatist Navy, Confed Navy, Confederate fleet, Separatist fleet, CS Navy, Western States Navy, Western Navy, Rebel Navy, Maritime Service and the Traitor's Navy, were the naval forces of the Confederate States of Earth, with ships both in space and on the ocean. The C.S.N was founded shortly after the founding of the Confederate States of Earth as the Maritime Service of the Confederate States (MSCS).
The M.S.C.S was created from the part of the Union Navy which was based in the Confederate states which had seceded, the reason that the Confederate Parliament gave to justify the internment of Union ships was that the Union Navy had no place in the Confederacy, and thus they were within their rights to impound and use the ships, the crews of the impounded ships were sent back to the Union at Confederate expense.
The Confederate Navy also made use of ships turned over to the Confederacy by former Union crews who were born in seceded states, and decided they owed their allegiance to their home states, rather than the nation they gave their allegiance to.
The M.S.C.S was made up primarily of ocean-borne vehicles, though with a few space shuttles, the M.S.C.S was very short lived, and was the name for the combined naval forces of the original 10 Confederate nations, following the acceptance of new nations in the Confederate States of Earth the M.S.C.S was renamed the C.S.N, after the signing of the Confederate-Earth Treaty of Alliance the C.S.N was supplied Separatist warships, which greatly strengthened its space-borne fleets.
Following the renaming the rank of the commanding officer was changed from Admiral of the Fleet to Grand Admiral, Admiral of the Fleet was renamed to Admiral of the Grand Fleet, who commanded the Confederate Grand Fleet, the prime fleet of the navy, and that rank became the rank of the second-in-command of the navy. Most prized amongst Separatist-supplied ships was a Subjugator-class heavy cruiser, the CSS Velociraptor, which became the flagship of the navy, as well as the personal flagship of President Jane Zarkan, as well as the Confederate Grand Fleet, the prime fleet of the C.S.N, and Force A as well.
The Confederate Naval Air Service was the branch of the navy in charge of naval aviation. The anthem of the C.S.N was Sailing to Liberty. The popular quick march of the CSEN was Rivermouth, a traditional Zarkanian naval march and dance tune dating from 972 BBY. The Starred Banner March was the navy's popular departure tune, the ship's band would play the tune on the ship's deck when departing a friendly port, the march was named after the "Stars and Bars", the first national flag of the Confederacy, and the first Confederate naval ensign.
The C.S.N made use of many different ship types, from captured Republic ships, Separatist ships supplied to them by their Separatist Navy allies, ships captured from the Galactic Empire and the Earth Empire puppet state, Imperial ships supplied by the New Republic, ships supplied by the Rebel Alliance, New Republic and the Confederation as well ships purchased from the black market and ship dealers. A purchasing commission purchased old Vainglorious-class cruisers, an ageing cruiser from the time of the Stark Hyperspace War of 44 BBY from the Rendili StarDrive, Rendili was only too happy to sell off the obsolete craft, which the CSN used to bolster their cruiser forces and attack less developed worlds.
The C.S.N's ship classification system distinguished between ocean and space-borne ships, e.g. there were two different "Destroyer" classifications - the standard "Destroyer" classification for ocean-borne destroyers and "Space Destroyer" for space-borne destroyers, additionally ship types in different classifications in other systems where often brought together under a single classification if they were similar to each other in size, armament, firepower, intended mission profile etc for simplicity, e.g. the Tartan-class patrol cruiser, Carrack-class light cruiser, Lancer-class frigate and the Victory II-class frigate were all referred to as "Space Destroyers" by the C.S.N
Unlike much of the rest of the Confederate Navy the C.S.N had a rule of only allowing organics or tactical droids to command front-line warships, the C.S.N didn't trust OOM droids to command warships in battle, believing them to be too easily outwitted and lacking enough of a sense of self-preservation to even attempt to protect their ships, this belief was justified with the many times Jedi or Republic naval officers outwitted OOM commanders, and the fact that battle droids in command of Recusant-class light destroyers often rammed their vessels into Republic ships in suicide charges, due to their lack of self-preservation programming, unlike the rest of the Confederate Navy the C.S.N could not rely on almost unlimited amounts of frigates and cruisers, as the navy was limited by the amount of vessels which could be sent from the CIS, the C.S.N was considered a pretty low priority receiver of ships, as a result the C.S.N couldn't afford to lose vessels needlessly, and often had to make use of technically obsolete ships in all but their most important and largest fleets, for example the Stark Hyperspace War-era Vainglorious-class Cruiser.
The ship supply issues didn't particularly hamper C.S.N operations, even the more obsolete starships purchased from Separatist shipwrights were often more than enough to outgun most Union ships, and even the somewhat of a trickle of modern Separatist warships donated by the CIS was enough to give the C.S.N a massive edge in ship numbers and firepower over the Union Navy, the C.S.N's main enemy.
The CSN was under the command of the Confederate States Department of the Navy, a government organisation which also dealt with matters concerning the Confederate States Marines and the Confederate Naval Air Service.
Ships of the navy were prefixed C.S.S (usually written as CSS), which stood for Confederate States Ship.
Vehicle types of the C.S.NEdit
- Supply-class Space Transport
- Sheathipede-class Space Transport
- Maxillipede-class Space Transport
- Type B-class Space Transport
- C-class Space Transport
- Theta-class Space Transport
- Lambda-class Space Transport
- Action-class Space Transport
- Neimoidia-class Space Transport
- Super Neimoidia-class Space Transport
- Y-class Space Transport
- FE-class Space Frigate
- Lupus-class Space Frigate
- Interceptor-class Space Frigate
- Hammerhead-class Space Frigate
- Recusant-class Space Destroyer
- Victory II-class Space Destroyer
- Tartan-class Space Destroyer
- Lancer-class Space Destroyer
- Carrack-class Space Destroyer
- Corellian-class Space Destroyer
- Gunship-class Space Destroyer
- Arquitens-class Space Destroyer
- Acclamator-class Space Cruiser
- Broadside-class Space Cruiser
- Munificent-class Space Cruiser
- Diamond-class Space Cruiser
- Dreadnaught-class Space Cruiser
- Vindicator-class Space Cruiser
- Nebulon-class Space Cruiser
- Immobilizer-class Space Cruiser
- Gozanti-class Space Cruiser
- Vainglorious-class Space Cruiser
- Pinnace-class Space Cruiser
- Providence-class Space Battleship
- Bulwark-class Space Battleship
- Bulwark II-class Space Battleship
- Subjugator-class Space Battleship
- CSS Velociraptor
- Lucrehulk-class Space Battleship
- Venator-class Space Battleship
- Victoria I-class Space Battleship
- Victoria II-class Space Battleship
- Imperator-class Space Battleship
- Imperator II-class Space Battleship
- Interdictor-class Space Battleship
- Vulture-class Droid Space Fighter
- Tri-class Droid Space Fighter
- IX-1 Interceptor
- Tracker-class Space Fighter
- CloakShape-class Space Fighter
- Headhunter-class Space Fighter
- Rogue-class Space Fighter
- Mankvim-class Space Fighter
- Belbullab-22-class Space Fighter
- Riksurk-class Space Fighter
- TIE/LN starfighter
- X-class Space Fighter
- Nimbus-class Space Fighter
- Spearhead-class Space Fighter
- Arrow-class Space Fighter
- Eagle-class Space Fighter
- Howlrunner-class Space Fighter
- Starchaser-class Space Fighter
- Tanager-class Space Fighter
- Skipray-class Heavy Space Fighter
- SFE-1 Space Fighter
- Hyena-class Space Bomber
- Yeth-class Space Bomber
- Knucker-class Space Bomber
- Belbullab-24-class Space Bomber
- Dragon-class Space Bomber
Oceanic ship classesEdit
- Vulture Droid Carrier
- Trade Federation Patrol Boat
- Trade Federation Submarine
- UC I-class Underwater Carrier
- Tigershark-class Aircraft Carrier
- Skyhopper-class Patrol Aircraft
- Cargohopper-class Transport Aircraft
- Vethrfolnir-class Attack Aircraft