Any user is allowed to contribute to or elaborate on this article.
Additions to this article may be given by any user, but if you wish to modify a previous addition to better fit your ideas, you should ask about it on this article's talk page.
Any user is allowed to reference the contents of this article in their work.
Although the addition, removal, or alteration of the content requires the permission of the author, the author allows any user to reference this article's content in their work. Check the talk page for any conditions the author has attached.
Admiral was a flag rank within most naval forces across the galaxy. Within the Republic and Imperial, New Republic and Galactic Alliance, Confederation and New Imperial navies, it was subdivided into four or sometimes five separate ranks:
- Rear Admiral: Commonly tasked with overseeing small- to medium-sized task forces, or command of very large capital-class vessels or command ships. Also often serves as staff officers to larger command structures. Oftentimes divided into lower and upper halves, each a separate rank with proportionate responsibilities. In the Royal Navy of the Golden Empire, the title Counter Admiral was used instead of Rear Admiral.
- Vice Admiral: Commonly assigned to lead medium- to large-sized fleets of capital ships, usually including at least one large command vessel. Also frequently charged with overseeing sector commands, or else serving as executive officers to major Navy department heads.
- Admiral: Commonly given overall command within a certain theater of operations. May take direct command of large expeditionary forces, often including multiple battle groups, may also serve as head of major Naval departments or as military advisers to heads of state.
- Fleet Admiral: The highest rank possible in most space navies. Typically serves either as commander-in-chief of naval operations, of the Navy itself, or very large portions of its active forces. Often a more political than military role.
- Grand Admiral (Empire only): Direct command of all Imperial Navy forces, both combat and logistical. Also capable of serving as de facto head of state.
- Grand Fleet Admiral (Galactic Republic, Empire and Haus Dominion only): Direct command of all Naval forces, both combat and logistical. Can also be the Supreme Commander or the Head of State, in the case of the Haus Dominion.
|This is a disambiguation page—a navigational aid which lists other pages that might otherwise share the same title. If an article link referred you here, you might want to go back and fix it to point directly to the intended page.|